Read the Public Environment Report (PER)
- January 2018: North East Link submitted a referral to the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE). The referral sought a decision from the Commonwealth as to whether North East Link requires assessment under the EPBC Act.
- April 2018: A delegate for the Minister for the Environment and Energy determined that construction of North East Link is a controlled action under the EPBC Act and advised that a Public Environment Report (PER) would need to be prepared.
- 16 April 2019: A draft PER was on display for public comment for 30 business days.
- 30 May 2019: Submissions on the draft PER closed at 5 pm.
- 30 September 2019: North East Link Project submitted the final PER to DoEE. The final PER included a summary of how we considered and addressed submissions. A copy of the final PER is available here.
- 13 December 2019: The Minister for the Environment approved the project under the EPBC Act. The approval includes strict conditions to manage and report on environmental outcomes for matters of national environmental significance.
For more information about the EPBC Act:
- Visit the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website
- Download the Australian Government's EPBC Act fact sheet
North East Link EPBC Act referral documents:
North East Link's EPBC Act referral and the DoEE's response can be found on the DoEE website at epbcnotices.environment.gov.au/publicnoticesreferrals The referral number is 2018/8142
|Abbreviations and glossary|
|Chapter 1 Introduction|
|Chapter 2 Objective of the action|
|Chapter 3 Description of the action|
|Chapter 4 Feasible alternatives|
|Chapter 5 Description of the environment|
|Chapter 6 Impact assessment|
|Chapter 7 Impacts on listed threatened species and ecological communities, and on migratory species|
|Chapter 8 Water related impacts|
|Chapter 9 Impacts on the whole of the environment on Commonwealth land|
|Chapter 10 Proposed avoidance and mitigation measures|
|Chapter 11 Offsets|
|Chapter 12 Environmental outcomes|
|Chapter 13 Other approvals and conditions|
|Chapter 14 Consultation|
|Chapter 15 Environmental record of person(s) proposing to take the action|
|Chapter 16 Economic and social matters|
|Chapter 17 Information sources|
|Chapter 18 Conclusion|
|Attachment I PER Guidelines|
|Attachment II Content Guide|
|Attachment III EES Environmental Management Framework and Environmental Performance Requirements|
|Attachment IV Options Assessment|
|Attachment V List of persons and agencies consulted during the PER|
|Attachment VI Names of persons involved in preparing the PER & the work done by each of these persons|
|Attachment VII Reference List|
|Attachment VIII Submissions Report|
|Technical Appendix A Flora and Fauna|
|Technical Appendix B Groundwater|
|Technical Appendix C Surface water|
|Technical Appendix D Commonwealth land|
|Technical Appendix E Project boundary and EPBC boundary coordinates|