- January 2018: North East Link submitted a referral to the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE). The referral sought a decision from the Commonwealth as to whether North East Link required assessment under the EPBC Act.
- April 2018: A delegate for the Minister for the Environment and Energy determined that construction of North East Link is a controlled action under the EPBC Act and advised that a Public Environment Report (PER) would need to be prepared.
- 16 April - 30 May 2019: North East Link exhibited a draft PER for public comment.
- 30 September 2019: North East Link submitted the final PER to DoEE. The final PER included a summary of how we had considered and addressed submissions.
- 13 December 2019: The Minister for the Environment approved the project under the EPBC Act. The approval includes strict conditions to manage and report on environmental outcomes for matters of national environmental significance.
North East Link's EPBC Act referral, DoEE's response and a copy of the Minister for the Environment’s approval including the conditions that apply, can be found on the Department of the Environment and Energy website at epbcnotices.environment.gov.au/publicnoticesreferrals
The referral number is 2018/8142