Draft Public Environment Report (PER) on exhibition for public comment
Published: 16 April 2019
Notification for Publication of Draft Public Environment Report under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) – North East Link Project, Melbourne, Victoria (EPBC 2018/8142)
The following notice is published pursuant to Section 98(1)(c) of the EPBC Act.
The proposed action, identified as the North East Link Project, Melbourne, Victoria (EPBC 2018/8142), will be developed by the Victorian Government’s Department of Transport.
The North East Link Project includes:
- M80 Ring Road to Lower Plenty Road: From the M80 and Greensborough Bypass to the northern tunnel portal, this section will include above, below and at surface road sections, with new road interchanges at M80, Grimshaw Street and Lower Plenty Road.
- Tunnels: From the northern tunnel portal located just north of Lower Plenty Road to south of Manningham Road, twin tunnels would travel under residential areas, Banyule Flats and the Yarra River. Near each tunnel portal supporting tunnel infrastructure would be required, including ventilation structures and substations. This section would include a new interchange at Manningham Road.
- Bridge Street to Eastern Freeway: This section would include open cut and bored or mined tunnel with the southern tunnel portal located south of the Veneto Club. Further south, surface road and viaduct structures would connect to the Eastern Freeway via a new interchange.
- Eastern Freeway upgrades: From around Hoddle Street in the west to Springvale Road in the east, modifications to the Eastern Freeway would include widening to accommodate future traffic volumes, provision of new dedicated bus lanes for rapid bus services and associated works.
The proposed action is a controlled action under the EPBC Act. The controlling provisions are listed threatened species and communities (section 18 and 18A), listed migratory species (section 20 and section 20A) and the environment on Commonwealth land (section 26 and 27A).
On 13 April 2018, a delegate of the Minister for the Environment determined that the North East Link Project would be assessed by a Public Environment Report. The Public Environment Report details assessments on the presence and relevant impacts on listed threatened species and communities, migratory species and potential environmental impacts on Commonwealth land.
The draft Public Environment Report in relation to the proposed action will be on public display, free of charge, between 16 April 2019 and 30 May 2019 at the following locations:
- The State Library of Victoria, Cnr Little Lonsdale St and Russell St, Melbourne
- Rosanna Library, 72 Turnham Ave, Rosanna
- Banyule City Council, 1 Flintoff St Greensborough
- Ivanhoe Council Library, 255 Upper Heidelberg Rd, Ivanhoe
- Eltham Library, Panther Place, Eltham
- Department of Environment and Energy, Canberra; email the Department at EPBC.Referrals@environment.gov.au to arrange a copy to be available for viewing at the department
- North East Link Community Information Hub, 17 Watsonia Road, Watsonia.
The documents can also be viewed online at northeastlink.vic.gov.au/epbc
Interested persons and organisations are invited to comment in writing on the preliminary documentation. Comments must be received by close of business 30 May 2019.
Written submissions can be sent:
- Online: through the following website: jointheconversation.northeastlink.vic.gov.au/epbc
- Post: Environment Manager – North East Link Project, GPO Box 4509, Melbourne VIC 3001
If you have special needs and require assistance in accessing the material, please contact NELP on 1800 105 105 or email@example.com.
View a PDF copy of this statutory notice.