Changes today, better transport tomorrow
Published: 23 February 2021
As part of Victoria’s Big Build, we’re continuing works on the state’s biggest road and public transport projects. While we prepare for a better network, be sure to plan ahead and allow extra time.
Major works between March and May include:
- Pakenham, Lilydale, Craigieburn, Werribee and Mernda lines: Works continue to remove 20 dangerous and congested level crossings, with the Cherry Street level crossing gone by the end of autumn.
- Cranbourne Line: Laying 8km of additional track to allow more trains to run.
- Sunbury Line: Upgrading the track, power and platforms for more modern trains.
- Seymour, Shepparton, Warrnambool and Gippsland lines: Works to upgrade the regional network begin as well as maintenance works.
- Metro Tunnel: Tunnel-boring to connect new underground stations.
- North East Link: Relocating gas, water and sewer pipes and drains on Greensborough and Bulleen roads.
- Monash and Princes Freeways: Adding 36km of extra lanes to make it safer and easier to travel around Melbourne.
- West Gate Freeway: Rebuilding the southbound bridge and expanding the freeway.
Other critical maintenance works will also take place across the road and public transport networks.
For a detailed list of disruptions and to find out how changes today are building better transport for tomorrow, visit Victoria’s Big Build.