Walking and cycling
North East Link will include more than 25 kilometres of new and upgraded cycling and walking paths throughout Melbourne’s north-east.
We are working with communities and being guided by Infrastructure Victoria’s 30-year plan for Melbourne to identify improvements to walking and cycling links.
So far this includes:
- Completion of the long-awaited commuter cycling route to the city along the Eastern Freeway between Chandler Highway and Merri Creek and upgrades to crossings under Belford Road and Burke Road
- A significant expansion of the Strategic Cycling Corridor network in the north-east, with new on-road routes to Greensborough, Watsonia, Heidelberg, La Trobe University and better connections to local shops and attractions like Heide Museum of Modern Art.
- Two new crossings of the Yarra River
- Completing the missing link in the Greensborough Road path between Grimshaw Street and Yallambie Road
- New and upgraded paths along Bulleen Road to improve access to schools and sporting facilities
- Improved cycling connections to access places where people work, shop and spend time in the north-east
Early walking and cycling concepts
Download our maps to explore early concepts for new and upgraded walking and cycling paths in the project area.