Bulleen Park & Ride
We’re building Melbourne’s first dedicated busway – starting with a new park and ride in Bulleen.
Bulleen Park & Ride will be a premium bus station including:
- A 5,000 square metre green roof community park
- Parking for up to 370 cars underneath
- Dedicated quick drop off and pick-up bays
- Walking and cycling paths that connect to Koonung Creek Trail
- Bike storage cage
- Ramps, toilets and myki services
The new Bulleen Park & Ride is being fast-tracked and will be open by late 2022, ready for people to use before Doncaster Park & Ride is closed for major upgrades.
We will no longer need to build a temporary park and ride at Doncaster – reducing disruptions for passengers and creating opportunities to save more open space and keep more trees during construction.
Work to build the new Bulleen Park & Ride is expected to start in late June/early July 2021, with work to start preparing the site for construction underway now. More information is available in the construction section of our website.
The Victorian Minister for Planning approved the Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) for Bulleen Park & Ride in March 2021. You can see a copy of the approved UDLP below:
- Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP Report PDF, 5.4 MB
- Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP (pages 1 to 25) PDF, 19.3 MB
- Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP (pages 26 to 50) PDF, 13.4 MB
- Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP (pages 51 to 74) PDF, 20.4 MB
To get Bulleen Park & Ride open four years earlier than planned, it will be built in two stages.
The UDLP shows the first stage, which will be built by the end of 2022. In this stage, buses will enter and exit Bulleen Park & Ride from a new signalised intersection at Thompsons Road and will use a turning circle to drop passengers off and pick them up.
When the busway is complete in 2027, the turning circle will be replaced with busway lanes in both directions. This stage will be built as part of the upgrades to the Eastern Freeway.
The proposed design for Bulleen Park & Ride was exhibited for public comment in late 2020 through an Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP).
As a result of people’s submissions, some changes were made including:
- Improvements to the green roof for the community and commuters by adding a bicycle repair station and extra bench seating.
- More trees and shrubs along Kampman Street with a deeper earth mound and garden bed at the southern end.
- Better privacy and screening for residents by including a solid section along the length of the Kampman Street noise wall.
2018-2019 – Environment Effects Statement (EES) process for North East Link
Outcomes led to Bulleen Park & Ride being moved to a better location
November 2020 – Bulleen Park & Ride Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) exhibited
People could view the proposed design and have their say by making a written submission
March 2021 – Bulleen Park & Ride UDLP approved
The Minister for Planning assessed and approved the UDLP including changes made in response to submissions
Late April/early May 2021 – Site preparation starts
Work to prepare the site for construction will include building a temporary noise wall along Kampman Street
Late June/early July 2021 – Construction starts
Work to start building the new park and ride is expected to begin
Late 2022 – Bulleen Park & Ride opens
Passengers will be catching buses from the brand-new Bulleen Park & Ride before the dedicated busway is complete
Late 2027 – North East Link and dedicated busway open
North East Link and Eastern Freeway upgrades will be complete, with Victoria’s first dedicated busway fully integrated with the Bulleen Park & Ride.