Freedom of Information
Freedom of information requests
The Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) gives you the right to apply for access to documents held by Victorian government departments and agencies.
Under the FOI Act, you can also ask North East Link Project (NELP) to correct or amend inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading information it holds about you.
Making a freedom of information request
You can lodge a FOI request by email, by post or online.
To lodge an FOI request with NELP, please email email@example.com; or write to:
Freedom of Information Officer
North East Link Project
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can also make an FOI request online using the Department of Justice Freedom of Information portal. You will need a credit card to complete this application online. Please note that if you apply through the portal, your request will not be received by NELP immediately. The Department of Justice will need to redirect it to us.
To lodge a valid FOI request, you must provide NELP with:
- a written request specifying which documents you seek access to;
- an application fee of $29.60 (as of July 2019) or evidence that the application fee would cause you financial hardship (such as a copy of your health care card); and
- your contact details so we can send you the information or to ask you to clarify anything about your request
If you are seeking access to documents containing personal affairs information held by NELP about yourself or someone else, please also provide:
- photo ID (if you are seeking access to documents containing information about you); and
- If you are seeking access to documents containing information about another individual; proof of relationship (for example, if they are under 18) or a signed authority (with their photo ID)
When a request is received by NELP, we will acknowledge this within 5 working days. We may also need to contact you to clarify your request.
In most circumstances NELP will complete your valid request within 30 days of receiving it.
Please call 1800 105 105 if you have any general FOI enquiries regarding North East Link.
If you require further information about the FOI process in Victoria you can visit The Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner’s FOI page.
Freedom of Information: Part II Information Statements
North East Link Project (NELP) is committed to transparency in carrying out delivery of North East Link. Information is made available to the public through online and print channels.
The following statements outline the types of documents held by NELP, and how they can be located.
- NELP organisation and functions
- Categories of documents held by NELP
- Freedom of Information procedure and contact details
- Publications, literature and the NELP Library
- Rules, policies and procedures
- Report literature
Statement 1: NELP organisation and functions
The Office of the Director-General (ODG) oversees the Victorian Major Transport Infrastructure Authority (MTIA), a major program of rail and road transport projects. The ODG and MTIA project teams are responsible for delivering the MTIA. See bigbuild.vic.gov.au for further information on all projects.
Project teams in relation to the MTIA have been established. NELP is one of these and is overseeing the delivery of North East Link.
NELP is responsible for all aspects of the project including developing the business case, stakeholder and community engagement and procurement. For more information, see northeastlink.vic.gov.au
NELP has its own CEO and is comprised of the following divisions:
- Commercial and Legal
- Communications and Stakeholder Relations
- Land Planning and Environment
- Finance and Corporate Services
Statement 2: Categories of Documents
NELP creates and manages a large number of documents relating to North East Link. These documents are stored on an Electronic Document & Records Management System.
The types of documents held by NELP include but are not limited to:
- briefs and reports;
- memoranda of understanding
- maps, plans and drawings;
- meeting records;
- rules, policies and procedures;
- multimedia including photographs, images and videos; and
- financial records.
This list is a representation of information that is held by NELP and may not be an exhaustive list.
These documents relate to the following functional categories:
- Project Controls
- Communications & Stakeholder Relations
- Commercial & Legal
- Governance & People
- Finance & Administration
- Business Services
- Land, Planning & Environment
- Technical & Engineering
- Records and Information Management
- Systems & Audit
Statement 3: FOI Arrangements
Under the Freedom of Information Act 1982, members of the public have the right to request information and access documents about their personal affairs and the activities of NELP.
A Freedom of Information (FOI) request needs to be made in writing to the agency that holds the documents being requested. Requests for documents in the possession of NELP should be addressed to:
North East Link Project
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne, Vic 3001
Further information about the Freedom of Information process can be found at:
NELP’s Freedom of Information page or; www.foi.vic.gov.au
Specific enquiries about NELP’s FOI arrangements can be made via telephone on 1800 105 105 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Statement 4: NELP publications
NELP produces a wide range of publications which can be accessed via our website.
These publications include but are not limited to:
- Business case
- Community updates
- Fact sheets
- Map books
- Technical documents and reports
Feel free to read through these first, as they may provide you the information you require, or may help to focus any request for information. Also note, due to the dynamic nature of the project these publications are regularly added to or updated.
Statement 5: NELP Rules, policies and procedures
NELP publishes internal policies and procedures which operate within a whole-of-government and Department of Transport (DoT) policy framework.
NELP’s Policies include but are not limited to:
- Information Management Policy
- Acceptance of Gifts, Benefits and Hospitality Policy
- Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Management Procedure
- Protected Disclosure Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Sustainability Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- Code of Conduct
- Appropriate Workplace Behaviour Policy
Statement 6: Report literature
NELP produces reports such as:
- Community engagement reports
- Technical reports
Some of these reports are also available on our publications page via our website. As the project progresses NELP will continue to produce a wide range of reports, some of which may be available to the public and will be released on our website.