North East Link
Finally fixing the missing link in Melbourne’s freeway network will slash travel times between Melbourne’s north and south-east by up to 30 minutes, take 15,000 trucks off local streets a day and deliver kilometres of new walking and cycling paths.
North East Link will deliver:
- Victoria’s longest road tunnels: three-lane twin tunnels travelling for 5 kilometres beneath Bulleen Road, residential and environmental areas
- Interchanges at Bulleen Road, Manningham Road, Lower Plenty Road, Grimshaw Street and the M80 Ring Road
- Up to 30 minute faster trips between Melbourne’s north and south-east, with local, toll-free connections retained for local trips
North East Link project updates
Design work so far
So far we’ve been working on early design concepts to help us understand design challenges and opportunities.
The design isn’t final and we’re interested to hear your feedback.
- Come and see project maps, learn more about our planning studies, talk to our specialists and give us feedback at drop-in displays. They’re on from Saturday 21 April – Tuesday 1 March. Visit our events page for dates, times and locations
- Explore the latest design information in this section of our website
- Ask us a question, or give feedback online on at jointheconversation.northeastlink.vic.gov.au
- Talk to your Community Liaison Group representative
- Come along to a community workshop. To receive an email when registrations open, sign up to receive our e-newsletter.
There will be a second design update later this year, including how community feedback has informed changes.
Early design concepts and artist impressions
Learn more about how North East Link would function by viewing early design concepts and artist impressions.
The designs and artist impressions shown are not final. They are concepts only and are subject to change based on further technical investigations, planning studies, feedback from communities and stakeholders and the procurement process.
Project highlights map
Use our online map to explore
- Early design ideas for how the new North East Link interchanges would work
- Key upgrades to modernise the Eastern Freeway
- The latest thinking on how to best connect Doncaster Busway to the existing bus network
- Some of the key walking and cycling links that would be delivered as part of North East Link
The design shown in this map is not final. It is a concept only and subject to change based on further technical investigations, planning studies, feedback from communities and stakeholders and the procurement process.