Eastern Freeway upgrades
Melbourne is growing fast and the Eastern Freeway needs some big changes to keep up. As part of the North East Link project, the Eastern Freeway would get a massive overhaul to bring it up to modern-day standards and cater for both current and future demand.
We’ll be using the latest traffic management techniques and technology to make the Eastern Freeway work smarter and slash travel times by up to 40%.
The new-look Eastern Freeway would include:
- New lanes to increase capacity
- Express lanes to separate traffic making long trips from traffic getting on and off and reduce merging and weaving that causes congestion
- Dedicated lanes for vehicles making short trips
- Traffic signals at entry ramps (ramp metering) to better manage the rate and spacing of vehicles entering the freeway and keep traffic flowing.
These improvements would all work together to increase capacity, reduce congestion, improve safety and make travel times faster.
Eastern Freeway Design Update
Design work so far
So far we’ve been working on early design concepts to help us understand design challenges and opportunities.
This update isn’t a final design and we’re interested to hear your feedback.
- Come and see project maps, learn more about our planning studies, talk to our specialists and give us feedback at drop-in displays. They’re on from Saturday 21 April – Tuesday 1 March. Visit our events page for dates, times and locations
- Explore the latest design information in this section of our website
- Ask us a question, or give feedback online on at jointheconversation.northeastlink.vic.gov.au
- Talk to your Community Liaison Group representative
- Come along to a community workshop. To receive an email when registrations open, sign up to receive our e-newsletter.
There will be a second design update later this year, including how community feedback has informed changes.
Early design concepts and artist impressions
Learn more about how a new-look Eastern Freeway would function by viewing our early design concepts and artist impressions.
The design shown in these schematics and artist impressions are not final. They are concepts only and are subject to change based on further technical investigations, planning studies, feedback from communities and stakeholders and the procurement process.
Project highlights map
Use our online map to explore
- Early design ideas for how the new North East Link interchanges would work
- Key upgrades to modernise the Eastern Freeway
- The latest thinking on how to best connect Doncaster Busway to the existing bus network
- Some of the key walking and cycling links that would be delivered as part of North East Link
The design shown in this map is not final. It is a concept only and subject to change based on further technical investigations, planning studies, feedback from communities and stakeholders and the procurement process.