About the project
We’re moving ahead on Victoria’s biggest transport project. The North East Link will finally build the missing link in Melbourne’s freeway network, while increasing the capacity of the Eastern Freeway.
It will slash travel times, get trucks off local roads and link key growth areas in the north and south-east.
North East Link will deliver three major projects in one:
- Completing the ring road between the Eastern Freeway and the M80 Ring Road, connecting the growing northern and south-eastern suburbs
- Overhauling the Eastern Freeway with new lanes and new technology for up to 40% faster trips
- Launching a new Doncaster Busway system with dedicated express bus lanes along the Eastern Freeway from Doncaster towards the city.
CEO Duncan Elliott explains the new North East Link
North East Link will include:
- A massive expansion and upgrade of the Eastern Freeway between Springvale Road in Donvale and Bulleen Road in Bulleen. Up to seven new lanes will be added. Express lanes at major interchanges will reduce the kind of merging and weaving that leads to traffic congestion
- Victoria’s longest tunnel: three-lane twin tunnels travelling for 5 kilometres beneath Bulleen Road, residential and sensitive environmental areas including Bolin Bolin Billabong, Banyule Flats and the Yarra River
- Interchanges at Bulleen Road, Manningham Road, Lower Plenty Road, Grimshaw Street and the M80 Ring Road with local, toll-free connections.
- Up to 30 minute faster trips between Melbourne’s north and south-east
- Congestion on local roads eased
- Up to 40% faster trips on the Eastern Freeway
- 15,000 trucks off local roads a day
- New and upgraded walking and cycling links all the way from the M80 to the Eastern Freeway and Yarra Trail
- A seamless trip to Melbourne Airport from Doncaster, Ringwood and beyond
- 18 sets of traffic lights skipped for trips between the M80 Ring Road and the Eastern Freeway
- New or improved noise walls for the Eastern Freeway, M80 and North East Link.
There will be no new tolls on existing routes including on the Eastern Freeway, Greensborough Road/Highway, Greensborough Bypass and the M80.
For more information and to view some early design ideas visit our interactive map.
Preparing for future growth
North East Link will link key growth areas in the north and south-east.
Eastern Freeway upgrades
The Eastern Freeway overhaul will make trips up to 40% faster with no tolls.
North East Link: Eastern Freeway Upgrades Explained
We’ll be talking with communities now and into early 2018 as we develop the project design. We’ll be asking you to help shape key areas of the project like walking and cycling connections and urban design.
You can let us know how you’d like to get involved here.
For more information about how we’re involving communities in developing North East Link, visit our Community page.