The planning and delivery of the North East Link Project (Project) is being overseen by the North East Link Authority (NELA).
This Privacy Statement outlines NELA's commitment to ensuring the proper collection, handling, storage and maintenance of your personal information under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (Privacy Act) and other applicable laws that protect your privacy.
THE LEGAL FRAMEWORK
As a public organisation delivering a project on behalf of the Victorian Government, NELA must comply with the Privacy Act. The Privacy Act contains a set of Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) that dictates how NELA must handle both your personal information and sensitive information.
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. Personal information may include your name, address, position description and contact details.
Sensitive information is also personal information, specifically personal information about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliation, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal record.
HOW WILL NELA HANDLE THE PERSONAL AND SENSITIVE INFORMATION THAT IT COLLECTS FROM YOU?
In performing its functions and in complying with the IPPs, NELA:
- will only collect personal information about you that is necessary for NELA to fulfil its functions. A core function of NELA is to engage and consult with stakeholders and the public about the Project. In some circumstances NELA may collect personal information from third parties. For example, NELA may collect personal information from other government bodies and ministers that redirect your queries and issues to NELA. NELA may also collect personal information from other third parties including public sources, local councils, rail operators, contractors engaged to help deliver the Project and organisations/groups with which you are associated or involved (e.g. your employer or a community group).
- will, when collecting your personal information, take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure that you are aware of the purpose for which your personal information is being collected and how your personal information is used and disclosed.
- may use the information you provide to communicate with you via newsletter and/or eNews, respond to enquiries, requests or complaints, gain a better understanding of NELA's stakeholders' questions or concerns about the Project to allow our team to respond to enquiries more efficiently, and to inform future public information and engagement activities.
- may disclose your contact details to a third party, such as a rail operator or authority, Public Transport Victoria or a contractor engaged to help deliver the Project, to respond to your enquiry or concerns, or at handover of the completed Project to the authority responsible for the rail network.
- will obtain your consent to collect your sensitive information (unless NELA is otherwise required or authorised to collect it), and to use or disclose your personal information if required.
- will take all reasonable precautions to ensure the security of your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosures.
NELA may not be able to fulfil its functions without your personal information. We encourage you to contact us should you have any privacy queries.
WHO DO YOU CONTACT FOR ANY PRIVACY CONCERNS?
Please contact NELA if you wish to seek access to any personal information that NELA holds about you, if you wish to have your personal information corrected, or if you have a complaint about the way that NELA has handled your personal information.
Requests can be addressed to the FOI Officer, North East Link Authority, Level 14, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.