North East Link Project (NELP) is responsible for overseeing the planning and delivery of this Project.
The legal framework
As a public organisation delivering a project on behalf of the Victorian Government, NELP must comply with the Privacy Act, which contains a set of Information Privacy Principles (IPPs). The Privacy Act dictates how NELP must handle both your personal information and sensitive information.
NELP must also comply with other laws that protect your privacy, including the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic). The Health Records Act contains a set of Health Privacy Principles (HPPs) and applies to NELP’s handling of health information, which is not subject to the IPPs.
The different types of information that are governed by privacy laws are set out below.
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. Personal information may include your name, address, position description and contact details.
Sensitive information is also personal information, specifically personal information about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliation, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal record.
How will NELP handle the personal and sensitive information that it collects from you?
In performing its functions and in complying with the IPPs, NELP:
- Will only collect personal information about you that is necessary for NELP to fulfil its functions. A core function of NELP is to engage and consult with stakeholders and the public about the Project. In some circumstances NELP may collect personal information from third parties. For example, NELP may collect personal information from other government bodies and ministers that redirect your queries and issues to NELP. NELP may also collect personal information from other third parties including public sources, local councils, road and rail operators, contractors engaged to help deliver the Project and organisations/groups with which you are associated or involved (e.g. your employer or a community group).
- Will, when collecting your personal information, take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure that you are aware of the purpose for which your personal information is being collected and how your personal information is used and disclosed.
- May use the information you provide to communicate with you via newsletter and/or eNews, respond to enquiries, requests or complaints, gain a better understanding of NELP's stakeholders' questions or concerns about the Project, to allow our team to respond to enquiries more efficiently, and to inform future public information and engagement activities.
- May disclose your contact details to a third party, such as a road or rail operator or authority, technology service providers engaged by NELP, Public Transport Victoria, VicRoads, Transport for Victoria, and other government agencies or departments or a contractor engaged to help deliver the Project, to respond to your enquiry or concerns, or at handover of the completed Project to the authority responsible for the Victorian road network.
- Will obtain your consent to collect your sensitive information (unless NELP is otherwise required or authorised to collect it), and to use or disclose your personal information if required.
- Will take all reasonable precautions to ensure the security of your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosures.
In relation to job applicants and staff, NELP collects information about qualifications, skills, experience, character and screening checks. In addition, for staff who join NELP, NELP collects information about their employment arrangements, conduct, and payment/financial details.
NELP also uses personal information for recruiting, training and managing staff. Personal information (including payroll/financial details where appropriate) may also be disclosed to academic institutions, recruiters, payroll service providers, screening check providers, health service providers, professional and trade associations, law enforcement agencies, referees and your current, previous and prospective employers. NELP may not be able to fulfil its functions without your personal information. We encourage you to contact us should you have any privacy queries.
A web server log is a file created by a web server which records all the activities it performs NELP may use standard web analytics software packages to analyse its web server log file in order to track usage of the Website.
Web server logs and cookies are used to gather statistical information about the use of the Website. These tools provide NELP with general data including the number of visits, date and time of visits, pages viewed, browser types, methods of navigation, sections of the Website visited and other Website usage information. NELP will not make any attempt to identify you or your individual browsing activity through these tools. The information collected is used by NELP to update and improve the Website. NELP does not use web server logs and cookies as the basis for direct marketing.
For further information, please visit the Google Privacy Centre and related information at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
Who do you contact to discuss privacy?
NELP may not be able to fulfil its functions without your personal information. We encourage you to contact us should you have any privacy queries at:
North East Link Project
Level 14, 121 Exhibition Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Please contact NELP if you wish to seek access to any personal information that NELP holds about you, if you wish to have your personal information corrected, or if you have a complaint about the way that NELP has handled your personal information.