Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act (EPBC Act)
North East Link will be assessed under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity 1999 Act (EPBC Act).
What is the EPBC Act?
The EPBC Act provides a legal framework to protect and manage nationally and internationally important flora, fauna, ecological communities and heritage places.
Steps taken so far
In January 2018, the North East Link Authority submitted a referral to the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE). The referral sought a decision from the Commonwealth as to whether North East Link requires assessment under the EPBC Act
On 13 April 2018, a delegate for the Minister for Environment and Energy decided that construction of North East Link is a controlled action under the EPBC Act.
We will now need to prepare a Public Environment Report (PER) to be assessed by the Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE).
The DoEE has advised NELA that the following controlling provisions under the EPBC Act apply to the PER:
- Listed threatened species and communities
- Listed migratory species
- Environment on Commonwealth lands
The DoEE has issued guidelines so that we can start preparing a draft Public Environment Report.
The public will have an opportunity to provide comment once the draft PER has been prepared in early 2019.
For more information about the EPBC Act:
- Visit the Department of Environment and Energy website
- Download the Australian Government's EPBC Act fact sheet
North East Link EPBC Act referral documents
North East Link's EPBC referral and the DoEE's response can be found on the DoEE website at http://epbcnotices.environment.gov.au/publicnoticesreferrals/.The referral number is 2018/8142.
You can also view the documents submitted by NELA to the DoEE by clicking on the links below:
- North East Link Project EPBC Referral
- Attachment - Hydrology Report (Attachment B)
- Attachment - Hydrology Report (Attachment C)
- Attachment - Ecology Report Part 1 of 3
- Attachment - Ecology Report Part 2 of 3
- Attachment - Ecology Report Part 3 of 3
- Attachment - Commonwealth Land Report
- Attachment - Draft translocation plan