North East Link is the biggest road transport project in Victoria’s history – finally fixing the missing link in Melbourne’s freeway network.
Between 110,000-130,000 vehicles will use North East Link every day, reducing congestion in the north-east while maintaining local roads for local trips.
Key benefits of North East Link
Slashing traffic and travel times
- Slashing travel times between Melbourne’s north and south-east by up to 30 minutes
- Taking 15,000 trucks off local roads a day
- Additional lanes on the Eastern Freeway will eliminate some of Melbourne’s worst bottlenecks
- Seamless trips to Melbourne Airport from Doncaster, Ringwood and beyond.
- Better managing traffic flow through new technology
- 9,000-11,000 cars and trucks off Rosanna Road a day
Improving Public Transport
- Building Melbourne’s first dedicated busway along the Eastern Freeway
- Creating a new park and ride at Bulleen
- Improve access and upgrade car parking at Watsonia station
Creating walking and cycling connections
- Delivering more than 25 kilometres of new and upgraded walking and cycling paths
- Upgrading bridges and adding more signalised crossings for walkers and bike riders
- Completing the North East Bicycle Corridor - a new commuter cycling route to the city along the Eastern Freeway between Chandler Highway and Merri Creek
Growing industry and the economy
- Creating more than 10,000 jobs
- $427M annual economic boost from better freight connectivity
- Access to 56,000 more job opportunities for workers in the north-east