What we're working on
We started by looking at all possible links between the M80 Ring Road and the Eastern Freeway or EastLink and narrowed the options down to four potential corridors.
After extensive technical studies and conversations with local communities we've identified the project corridor for North East Link. Now we're moving ahead on Victoria's biggest transport project.
Our work so far includes:
- Reassessing previous studies and looking at new ideas
- Developing a high level indication of benefits and challenges
- Completing technical studies to see what corridor options are possible
- Testing how well the corridors do (or don't) perform based on our project objectives and principles
- Identifying a project corridor and getting ready to start planning and approvals in 2018
Where we're at now
Right now, we're in the early planning stages for North East Link.
We've conducted expert engineering, environmental and social investigations and had conversations with communities and stakeholders to identify where the project will go.
We'll submit the project business case to Government in early 2018 and ask communities to provide more input to help shape key areas of the project.
We'll also start the formal planning and approvals process. This will be through an Environmental Effects Statement.
We'll release the project to market and select a preferred builder.