North East Link will finally connect Melbourne's freeway network between an upgraded Eastern Freeway from Springvale Road to the M80 Ring Road.
It will be a safe and efficient freeway connection for 100,000 vehicles a day, slashing travel times, getting trucks off local roads and linking key growth areas in the north and south-east.
The idea was first considered in 1929. Now the Victorian Government is committed to build the North East Link – Victoria's next priority road project identified by Infrastructure Victoria and the single biggest transport infrastructure investment in Victorian history.
North East Link will
- Slash congestion and travel times
- Support more than 10,000 Victorian jobs
- Get trucks off local streets
- Build Victoria's longest tunnel to protect the Yarra River and Banyule Flats
- Clear bottlenecks on the Eastern Freeway